Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Living Was Worse Than Death, So I Confessed - 生不如死就招了

Following my previous blog on the killing of school children in China, I was sick to stomach to read more killings of such kind.

One of the reasons of such irrationality is that there is no channel to redress any wrongs done to Chinese citizens. Violence calls for violence.

Below is a deeply disturbing story. A certain Mr. ZHAO Zuohai in rural China was accused of killing another villager, who had quarreled and fought with him. The person thought to be killed actually fled, believing that he had killed Zhao. After a deeply decomposed body was found, Zhao was tortured and forced to confess being the killer. He was sentenced to die then commuted to long term. His wife divorced him and his children dispersed. Below is an interview published by People's Daily (the "Tongue and Throat" of Chinese Communist Party).

I have read many more similar stories but only choose to report this, because the bias of other sources. Since People's Daily is pro-Chinese government, I feel that I can believe all the accusations here.

繼續我以前的在中國殺害學童關於的博客,我很悲哀地聽到更多的這類殺人消息

其中一個原因是這種非理性事件,是在中國向國公民沒有任何渠道糾正錯誤。暴力呼籲暴力。

下面是一個非常令人不安的故事。在中國農村, 一個趙作海先生被指控殺害與他爭吵和打鬥的一名村民。其實他以為他殺害了趙作海, 逃離家鄉,卻被認為是遭趙作海殺害。一個深度腐爛的屍體被發現,趙作海被拷打並被迫承認為殺手。他被判處死刑然後改判為長期徒刑。他的妻子離婚,他的孩子們驅散。下面是人民日報刊登的(中國共產黨的“喉舌”)採訪報導

我看過很多類似的故事,但因為其他來源的偏見,只選擇報告此文章。由於人民日報是親中的政府,我覺得我可以相信這裡所有的指控。

18288849503048076301

13073984109072807645

3014642355442737005


599836123407188861

Below is my translation and the original transcript follows.

下面是我的翻譯, 中文原文隨後。

May 11, Henan Province, Shangqiu City, Laowangji Xiang [a xingzheng term], Yumian Village, Zhao Zuohai resting in his sister-in-law's home. Pictures taken by reporter LI Qiang

"I was acquitted." Zhao Zuohai put the Release Certificate in front of his chest several times, pointing to it and said: "Look, look, the Supreme Court, acquitted."

After reading it again, he carefully folded the certificate. A man took it to photograph the certificate, and he cranked his neck, keeping unblinking eyes on the certificate, not letting it out of his sight for a moment.

Zhao Zuohai's back was slightly bent, and when he looked at people he betrayed a constant nervousness.

His cry was always sudden, coughing out from the throat. Less than a day, he cried seven or eight times. The most severe one, was when he talked about when his son visited him in prison without calling out Dad.

He was eager to mentioned his being beaten. When worked up, he stood up, hunched up his body and hands, to demonstrate how he was handcuffed to the bench, how he was beaten.

He did not want to mention seeking responsibility. He always said, "I do not understand it, since it belongs to the domain of the government, whatever the government says, whatever happens."

When the people from government came to console him, he would stand up in respect, hands on seams, and bowed to 90 degrees.

Beaten, Living Was Worse Than Death

New Capital Journal: Now does your body feel now?

Zhao Zuohai: At the beginning of my jail time, my head was always buzzing, so I couldn't sleep, all these were the problems I got from interrogate, being beaten.

New Capital Journal: You were at the police station two days, a month at the County Public Security Bureau. Where were you beaten up?

Zhao Zuohai: Both places. Interpol was the worst.

New Capital Journal: Do you remember how you were beaten?

Zhao Zuohai: Punched and kicked, from the day I was carried off. Look at the scar on my head, which was hit by the gun barrel, leaving this scar. They used a rolling pin like stick hit my head, knocking and knocking till I was dizzy. They also set off firecrackers over my head. I was handcuffed to the bench legs, fuzzy headed, and they put one after another firecracker on my head, lit, and set the explosion on my head.

New Capital Journal: Did it hurt?

Zhao Zuohai: Directly put on my head, why wouldn't it hurt? One explosion after another, so you couldn't sleep. They also mixed some drug with boiled water to let me drink, then I knew nothing. They stomped me and I couldn't move, even couldn't not stand up.

New Capital Journal: Could you sleep?

Zhao Zuohai: Handcuffed to the bench, more than 30 days they would not let you sleep.

New Capital Journal: Could you stand it?

Zhao Zuohai: What could you do if you couldn't stand it? He wanted you to die, you are damned. A person from Interpol team told me, that if you did not confess, we would put you on a van, and kick you out of the open door, then we are going to shoot you, claiming you tried to escape. I was beaten so much that to live was worse than to die. Whatever they told me to say, I said.

Beaten ruthlessly, really I couldn't stand it any more. Let me tell you, when you were beaten like that, you would confess too. Qin Xiang Lian [a legendary figure] was a good woman, why did she confess? Because of the ruthless beating. One or two days, three days, five days, she could not endure a long time. However tough she would have to confess.

Later on I said, do not beat me anymore, I would say whatever you want me to say.

New Capital Journal: Your statement was what they wanted you to say?

Zhao Zuohai: They taught me. He told me to say so and so, I then began to repeat, as soon as I repeated, he said, I those were my words. How I killed Zhao Zhentang, was fed by them. If I didn't say it to their liking, they'd beat me.

New Capital Journal: In your statement, regarding where the body was, there were two statements. One was that it was dumped into the river, and another that it was buried. Did they feed you that too?

Zhao Zuohai: I made them up, they were false. They asked me where to get the body, and I can not stand beating so I made up things randomly.

New Capital Journal: At that time, how many people beat you?

Zhao Zuohai: Four or five. I'd forgotten who they were. 12 years passed. A main one amongst them (then) was about 30 years old.

Wronged, I had a Mouth But Could Not Speak

New Capital Journal: So many years, when you thought of it, did you feel being wronged?

Zhao Zuohai: Could you not? How wronged I was. Around in my head I thought about this matter. I know that it was injustice, but what to do to this injustice? Falling wall was crooked from head to tail. You said that you did not kill, they said to you that if you did not kill, why you were in the Public Security Bureau? Nobody believed me, when they did not believe me and also hit me, insisted on that I killed. Everyone said that you killed somebody; no one believed me.

New Capital Journal: Did you say in court that you were wronged?

Zhao Zuohai: Did I dare say it? If I said that, what if they beat me again? Never mind that time; even just a few days ago, our prison cadre, came to ask me this matter, I do not dare to say it. I was afraid. Later, the cadre insisted, and he said that you need to tell the truth. Otherwise, did you still wish to go out? I finally told him everything. It was torture, forced confession.

New Capital Journal: You appealed once, then abandoned the effort?

Zhao Zuohai: Once I was in prison, the prison took care of me, I hoped for reduced terms then I could go out. I did not appeal. I also did not know how to write the appeal. I would thought that if I tried to appeal, what if they beat me again. I didn't dare to wish to overturn the verdict and had little hope.

New Capital Journal: Have you mentioned to friends and relatives of your innocence?

Zhao Zuohai: No. I didn't mention it to anyone. I am a mute who ate bitter pills could not tell it. I didn't dare to any one in my family.

New Capital Journal: You have never acknowledged your crime in the heart?

Zhao Zuohai: I have never acknowledged it in my heart. At that time, whatever was in the court's file was the acknowledgment. For example, say I stole vegetables. Others said I stole vegetables, but I did not steal. Others insisted on your stealing and it was acknowledged and accepted by all. But I have never accepted that verdict.

New Capital Journal: Over these years in prison, what did you think of most?

Zhao Zuohai: Mostly commutation, an early out. This time if I do not come back, I should have another commutation.

New Capital Journal: Ever thought of Zhao Zhentang's returning to the village?

Zhao Zuohai: I did not dare to think about it.

New Capital Journal: If Zhao Zhentang did not come back, when would you can out according to your calculation?

Zhao Zuohai: 70 years of age, 70 years old I could come out.

New Capital Journal: At that time, have you thought of your life once you were out?

Zhao Zuohai: I thought, I would scavenge and do a little trade; one has to live.

New Capital Journal: You perhaps did not expect to come out so soon?

Zhao Zuohai: I did not believe that I could live, did not expect this step.

New Capital Journal: Do you hope that those who beat you would apologize to you?

Zhao Zuohai: Apologize or not, does not matter. Beat first then apologize, has no meanings at all. You cannot peel of the original pain.

In Prison, Cry Underneath Quilt

New Capital Journal: What was your life in prison like?

Zhaozuo Hai: When I was in prison, I did mainly cleaning, and folding clothes in the clothing factory. I was old, and people did not expect me much, however much I could do was all right. Later, the prison took better care of me, and let me to become management staff, administering hundreds of people. Tire due to work, I could sit and and watch who did not work, and intervene. Prison staff really were taking care of me, allowing me to eat before other people, due to my old age. I was not beaten in prison and what I said counted, therefore I did not desire anything inside the prison.

New Capital Journal: Did you have monthly living allowances?

Zhao Zuohai: 6 Yuan [1 USD = 6.8 Yuan, or RMB], I couldn't use them all so I save up. I thought that I would need money once I went out, considering how expensive everything was.

New Capital Journal: Did you look forward to coming out when you were inside the prison?

Zhaozuo Hai: I was counting the days everyday, how many days inside already, how many days to go before I could go out, everyday.

New Capital Journal: Whom did you miss most in prison?

Zhao Zuohai: Sons and daughters, and family.

New Capital Journal: Did you ever dream of things took place before when you were in prison?

Zhao Zuohai: Always dreamed of children coming to see me. Whenever I had a dream, I dreamed of children's coming. I feel really painful. I was forced to confess, didn't you think I suffered gross injustice?

New Capital Journal: Did you cry when you thought of this?

Zhao Zuohai: I cried, I cried underneath the quilt, without making noise. I cried my quilt wet.

New Capital Journal: Did you children visit you?

Zhao Zuohai: My second son came last year. However, when he saw me, he did say anything. He didn't call me Dad. From his coming to leaving, he did not say once Dad. I felt extremely bad. He hated me. You say when my kids did not call me, wasn't I a useless person? The way he visited me was worse than his not to come at all. It made me feel even worse.

New Capital Journal: The child blame you?

Zhao Zuohai: I was in this trouble, my wife left, no one was at home, and my children couldn't continue their schooling, and begged everywhere. I was beaten, my children suffered a lot.

New Capital Journal: In prison, when you heard that Zhao Zhentang returned, how did you feel?

Zhao Zuohai: I cried, I longed to sit on the floor at once.

New Capital Journal: What did you think the most?

Zhao Zuohai: I thought that I was wronged so many years and I was angry and sad. I also know that I was going to be out soon.

Now, I Believe in the Laws

New Capital Journal: Do you know that your wife remarried?

Zhao Zuohai: I knew, I also understood. I was given a sentence, and could not even feed myself. Because this event, my wife left, my children dispersed, my family broken and family members dead. I have tears in my heart, and really it was in these words.

New Capital Journal: Does your son know that you are out?

Zhao Zuohai: He knows. He was working faraway and saw the newspaper. He told me that he wanted to come back to see me. Now, I don't even have a place to live, what's the use of his coming back. Moreover, when he comes back, his won't get paid.

New Capital Journal: What is the future plan of yours?

Zhao Zuohai: I still want to do a small business, selling vegetables, which was what I did before. House, I'll gradually get to it. This and that, to help my sons to form families.

New Capital Journal: I heard that your family grave was dug?

Zhaozuo Hai: At the time, the police said the body was hidden in it and when I was beaten so badly that I admitted that the body was in the grave. They dug up the tombs of my parents and my brother. I need to fix my parents' grave.

New Capital Journal: What is your idea regarding compensation?

Zhao Zuohai: I think it should not be less than 1.5 million Yuan [1 USD = 6.8 Yuan, or RMB]. I was in accordance with national standards, I would not calculate, other did it for me. Build a house, found wives for my sons, I also need money for old age.

New Capital Journal: Have you ever thought of holding the responsibility of the responsible person?

Zhao Zuohai: It was a matter of the government. State says he is not good, he is not good; it will not do if I say yes or no. I was even a criminal to be reformed through labor.

New Capital Journal: Do you find the change big once you are out?

Zhao Zuohai: Too big. Didn't dare to think. Stucco houses become concrete buildings, and I can not find my way.

New Capital Journal: Do you hate Zhao Chentang?

Zhao Zuohai: What is called hate, what is called not hate? I can not break the law, cursing him or beating him would not do.

New Capital Journal: Do you now believe in laws now?

Zhaozuo Hai: I am an ordinary person and did not know what laws were. Now after this, I believe in laws.

New Capital Journal: In the past people said that you were hot tempered. How about now?

Zhaozuo Hai: What temper can I have now? After this incident, any temper has been milled away.

New Capital Journal: Now, what is your happiest time?

Zhao Zuohai: My happiest time was the moment being told that I could come out, then that's great. This event was most tragic and most happy.

New Capital Journal: Why?

Zhao Zuohai: This thing is tragic. But now I am back, and knowing I was wronged, and this is the happiest time. Therefore, the most tragic, most happy. (Reported by Zhang Han from Shangqiu, Henang Province)



5月11日,河南省商丘市老王集乡余庙村,赵作海在其妹夫家中休息。记者 李强 摄


  “我是无罪释放。”赵作海好几次把释放证摆到胸口,指着证说:“你们看,你们看,最高法院,无罪释放。”

  看完了,他小心翼翼地把证叠起来。有人拿去拍照,他伸着脖子,眼睛不眨,一刻都不离开那张证。

  赵作海背微驼,看人时眼神总有点紧张。

  他的哭总是突如其来,哭声从喉咙里咳出来。不到一天,他哭了七八次。最厉害的一次,是说起儿子到监狱看他,没有叫一声爸。

  他愿意提到自己曾经挨打,说到激动处,站起来缩着身子和手,演示着怎么被铐在凳子上、怎么被打。

  他不愿意提追责。他总说,“我不懂,那是公家的事情,公家说怎样就怎样。”

  公家的人来慰问他,他会恭恭敬敬地站起来,手贴着裤缝,鞠一个躬,90度。

  被打,生不如死

  新京报:现在感觉身体怎么样?

  赵作海:一入狱开始,头总是嗡嗡地叫,叫的常睡不着觉,这都是当时审讯时候落下的毛病,打的。

  新京报:你当时在派出所两天,在县公安局一个多月,在哪里挨打了?

  赵作海:都挨打了。在刑警队挨打最厉害。

  新京报:你还记得当时怎么打你吗?

  赵作海:拳打脚踢,从抓走那天就开始打。你看我头上的伤,这是用枪头打的,留下了疤。他们用擀面杖一样的小棍敲我的脑袋,一直敲一直敲,敲的头发晕。他们还在我头上放鞭炮。我被铐在板凳腿上,头晕乎乎的时候,他们就把一个一个的鞭炮放在我头上,点着了,炸我的头。

  新京报:疼吗?

  赵作海:直接放头上咋不疼呢。炸一下炸一下的,让你没法睡觉。他们还用开水兑上啥药给我喝,一喝就不知道了。用脚跺我,我动不了,连站都站不起来。

  新京报:能睡觉吗?

  赵作海:铐在板凳上,那三十多天都不让你睡觉。

  新京报:受得了吗?

  赵作海:受不了咋办啊?他叫你死,你就该死。当时刑警队一个人跟我说,你不招,开个小车拉你出去,站在车门我一脚把你跺下去,然后给你一枪,我就说你逃跑了。当时打的我真是,活着不如死,叫我咋说我咋说。

  真是搁不住(受不了)打得狠。我就跟你们说,这么打你们,你们也要承认。你说秦香莲可是个好人,那她为啥招供,还不是打得狠。一天两天,三天,五天,搁不住时间长。再硬也招不住。

  我后来说,不要打了,你让我说啥我说啥。

  新京报:你的口供都是他们让你说的?

  赵作海:他们教我说的。他对我说啥样啥样,我就开始重复,我一重复,他就说是我说的了。怎么打死赵振裳,都是他们教我的。说得不对就打。

  新京报:在你的口供里,尸体在哪里,有两次供述,一次说是扔到河里了,一次说埋了,这也是他们教的?

  赵作海:我胡乱说的,都是假的。他们问我,尸体弄哪里去了,我打得受不了,就胡乱说。

  新京报:当时打你的人都是谁,几个人?

  赵作海:四五个人。是谁我都忘了,12年了,其中一个主要的(当时)30来岁。

  冤枉,我是有口难言

  新京报:这么多年,想起这件事,你觉得自己冤枉吗?

  赵作海:能不想吗?我冤枉啊。我脑子里转圈想着这个事情。我知道冤,冤有什么办法?墙倒一路都歪。你说没杀人,他们说你没杀,咋进来公安局了?所有人都不相信我,不相信还打我,说是我杀的。都说是你杀的,没人相信。

  新京报:你在法庭上说过冤枉吗?

  赵作海:我敢说吗?我说了他们再打我怎么办。别说那时候,就是前几天,我们监狱里的干部,因为这个事情来重新问我,我都不敢说。我害怕。后来干部非问我,他说你说实话吧,不说实话,你还想不想出去了。我才一五一十地说了,那是刑讯逼供,屈打成招。

  新京报:你提出过一次申诉,后来放弃了?

  赵作海:我到了监狱里面,监狱里对我很照顾,我想减减刑,我就出去了。就没申诉。我也不会写申诉。我还想,如果申诉出去了,弄不好人家再打我咋办。不敢想翻案,没啥指望了。

  新京报:和亲友提到过冤枉这回事吗?

  赵作海:没有。谁也没提过。我是哑巴吃黄连,有口难言。家里谁我也不敢说。

  新京报:你在心里从未承认过?

  赵作海:我从来没有在心里承认。那时候,法院的档案上给我写的是认定。啥叫认定?比如,我偷了菜,别人说我偷了,我没偷。别人说就是你偷的,这是认定。但我心里从来没有服过。

  新京报:这些年在监狱里想的最多的是什么?

  赵作海:我就想着减减刑,早点出来。这次如果我不回来,我又该减刑了。

  新京报:想过赵振裳回村里吗?

  赵作海:我不敢想。

  新京报:如果赵振裳没有回来,你算着自己什么时候能出来?

  赵作海:70岁,70岁我就能出来了。

  新京报:想过那时候出来的生活吗?

  赵作海:我想着,我出来要捡捡破烂,做点小生意,还要生活。

  新京报:没有想到能这么快出来吧?

  赵作海:我都没想过我能活,没想到能混到这一步。

  新京报:你希望那些打你的人给你道歉吗?

  赵作海:道歉不道歉的无所谓了,打罢了再道歉,也没有啥意思,你原来的疼也不能揭下来。

  狱中,蒙着被子哭

  新京报:你在监狱里的生活是什么样的?

  赵作海:我在监狱里主要就是打扫卫生,在服装厂叠个衣服。我年纪大了,人家也不指望我,能干多少就干多少。后来,监狱照顾我,还让我当管理人员,管几百个人。干活累了,往那一坐,看着谁不干活,就能管管。监狱人很照顾我,其他人还没吃饭,我就能去吃饭,年龄大了。不挨打,说了还能算,我在里面也就不想啥了。

  新京报:每个月有生活费吗?

  赵作海:有6块钱,我也花不着,我都攒起来,我想着出去还需要钱,现在物价这么贵。

  新京报:在监狱里是不是盼着出来?

  赵作海:我是数着日子过,进来多少天,还有多少天能出去,一天一天算。

  新京报:在监狱里最想谁?

  赵作海:想儿子女儿,想家。

  新京报:在监狱里会做梦想起以前的事吗?

  赵作海:做梦都是梦见孩子去了。一做梦,就梦见孩子来了。我心里难受。我屈打成招,我不是冤的狠吗?

  新京报:想到这些会哭吗?

  赵作海:我哭,都蒙在被子里哭,不出声,被子都被我哭湿了。

  新京报:孩子去看过你吗?

  赵作海:二儿子去年看过一次。可是,他见到我没言语一声,一句爸都没叫。从来到走,没说一句爸。我急得,我心里特别难受。他恨我。你说我的孩子都不叫我了,我不是个孬人吗?他这么来看我,还不如不来,来了我心里更难受。

  新京报:孩子怨你?

  赵作海:我出了这事,妻子走了,家里没人了,孩子连学都上不成,满处要饭。我挨打,孩子受了很多苦。

  新京报:在监狱里听到赵振裳回来的消息,什么感受?

  赵作海:我哭了,我恨不得能一下子坐在地上。

  新京报:想的最多的是什么?

  赵作海:想到我被冤枉这么多年,我生气,悲伤。我也知道自己快被放出来了。

  现在,我相信法律了

  新京报:你知道妻子改嫁了吗?

  赵作海:我知道,我也理解。我判了刑,连自己也养活不了了。我因为这个事情,是妻离子散,家破人亡。我心里掉泪了,真是这八个字。

  新京报:儿子知道你出来了吗?

  赵作海:他知道了。他在外地打工,看报纸了。他跟我说要回来看我。现在,我连住的地方都没有,他回来也没用。再说,他打工回来,人家不给他工钱。

  新京报:对以后有什么打算吗?

  赵作海:还是想做个小生意,贩个青菜卖,我以前就干这个。房子啥的,要弄弄,给儿子们成个家。

  新京报:听说家里的坟被挖了?

  赵作海:公安当时让我说尸体藏在哪里,我实在被打的不行,就说在坟里。他们把我父母和兄弟的坟都挖了。我要给父母重新修个坟。

  新京报:对赔偿金有什么想法?

  赵作海:我觉得不能低于150万。我是按照国家的标准,我不会算,别人给我算的。盖房子,给儿子娶媳妇,我还要养老。

  新京报:有没有想过追究相关负责人的责任?

  赵作海:那是公家的事情。国家说他不行,他就不行,我说不行,也没用。我以前还是个劳改犯呢。

  新京报:出来后觉得外面变化大吗?

  赵作海:变化大,真是不敢想。土房也变成楼了,路我也找不着了。

  新京报:你恨赵振裳吗?

  赵作海:啥叫恨,啥叫不恨。我也不能知法犯法了,骂他打他都不行。

  新京报:你现在相信法律吗?

  赵作海:我是老百姓,以前不知道啥是法律。现在经过这次,我相信法律了。

  新京报:以前大家说你脾气比较大,现在呢?

  赵作海:我现在还有啥脾气,经过这个事,啥脾气也磨没了。

  新京报:到现在,你最高兴的时候是什么时候?

  赵作海:最高兴的就是说让我出来,那个时候最高兴。这个事情最悲惨,也最高兴。

  新京报:为什么?

  赵作海:这个事情是悲惨的。但是现在人回来了,知道我是被冤枉了,这也是最高兴的时候。所以说,最悲惨,最高兴。(记者 张寒 河南商丘报道)

1 comment:

  1. It has been reported that Zhao Zuohai received 0.65 Million Yuan, instead of 1.5 Million Yuan he believed that he deserved.

    无辜被控杀人而坐牢11年的河南农民赵作海在重获自由后得到65万元赔偿。

    ReplyDelete